**********************************************
**********************************************
Our Family's Journey Through Autism And The Untold Beauty Of It. Megan is an amazing child with autism through her we have learned the beauty of autism.
**********************************************
**********************************************

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Happy Birthday Megan!!



On a cool September morning 11 years ago, I was given a most precious gift my daughter Megan, I had already been blessed with a beautiful daughter Stephanie, so you could say I was doubly blessed that day. For early in my pregnancy, I knew she was going to be something special, just a feeling, I always felt a sense of peace carrying her. At 7:41 am on the morning of September 27th 1996 my life changed, I would not know the full extent of it then but I could sense she was sent here to bless us.

Megan was a wonderful baby! But as we starting nearing the 18 month stage and she was not yet talking we started a series of Dr's appointments that would lead us to the final diagnosis of Autism. Autism is a devastating diagnosis to some but for me it would be a journey would bring change, a new outlook, a deeper sense of understanding, the journey has been a beautiful one! I have learned so much looking at the world through my daughter's eyes.

I am convinced Megan was sent here to change the way that autism is viewed, she has softened my hard heart and the wild beast that once lived inside of me, a barrier no one had been able to break through, all that have come into contact with Megan have been changed. I am told all the time of how she was able to change their views and opinions on autism, she has triumphed over so many hurdles.

Megan didn't speak until she was 5, she didn't point or use signs she just cried until you figured out what was wrong or what she wanted, trying some days but it is from those days that I would truly learn, that there is no mountain my daughter can not climb.

Megan has defied a lot of the stigmas of Autism. she makes eye contact with all, she loves cuddles, backrubs and hugs, she know has a vocabulary of over 10000 words, she has the most empathetic and generous heart I have ever seen. When a classmate is hurt or crying Megan is right beside side them rubbing them crying, sharing their pain every step of the way,when a classmate succeeds she is right there to cheer them on and i mean cheer like a cheerleader........LOL!The beautiful thing is Megan is teaching her classmates about acceptance it is a most beautiful sight, there are other children in our school with autism, but Megan is the only one who has manged to not only be integrated into her class(they all are integrated)but has become the heart of her class, her classmates watch over her there are there for her through every triumph, they too have returned the favor of being cheerleaders!

I feel so blessed to be a part of Megan's life!! i can't wait to see what the next year brings!!

Happy Birthday Megan!!!!!

Love Mom, Dad and Stephanie

3 Comments:

Blogger Bee's Zen Garden said...

Hey there, thanks for your welcome on SCS!
Your daughter is so beautiful! <3

I have a little guy with autism too (he's 4 1/2) and he truly is a blessing! :-)

October 2, 2007 at 5:01 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

My son Justyn is autistic with a diagnosis of PDD, prevasive Developmental Disorder. He is high functioning on the spectrum but as he gets older (he is 10) he has a difficult time. He was diagnosed at the early age of 2.5 and I was fortunate enough to have a wonderful Pediatrician who sent me every where for intervention.

I am an avid stamper and a member of the SBS 05 group stamping sistahs. I will index your blog....
Megan is a sweetie pea....Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Best Wishes from Bela
belascreatingplace.blogspot.com

December 23, 2007 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

A belated happy birthday!
HOw wonderful that Megan is teaching her class mates. You must be so proud.

July 30, 2008 at 7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home